Friday, January 4, 2008

To Hell With the Writers Guild

Amid all the noise about striking writers, late-night talk shows are returning to the air. David Letterman has writers, Jay Leno does not ...

Here's a quick story about striking writers being angry at Leno for writing and delivering his own jokes in his nightly monologues.

I have to say, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for the writers. If they work, they get paid. Whether they feel they are fairly compensated for their work is a personal opinion, and if they feel they are NOT paid fairly, then they should go find another job.

Come on, be realistic. Were all these shows really that great? The majority of what passes for TV entertainment these days is just pure crap, so it's not like the strike is depriving the country of something really valuable.

When people with lucrative jobs complain about it not being MORE lucrative, I get a little nauseous.

My opinion on unions usually ends up with me catching a lot of heat, but I'm of the mindset that every employee is replaceable ... I give a lot more leeway to cops and firefighters, because they do jobs every day that could get them killed, and nurses, because of what they deal with, but most everyone else I just feel should just shut up and either go to work or don't.

I may bitch and moan about my job, but I'm free to leave anytime I want if I think I can do better somewhere else.

No comments: