Sunday, July 8, 2007

I Don't Like Being Restrained


The state of Connecticut requires a driver to wear his/her seat belt. A driver found not wearing a seat belt can be fined $37.

I've had to pay a few hundred dollars in the past couple of years.

But I argue every ticket.

I really don't understand -- It's my car, I pay for it; I pay the taxes, the registration, the emissions testing, the upkeep. I pay the insurance. I pay for the gas.

As far as I can see, no one but I pays toward anything to do with my vehicle, or my use of the vehicle. With tolls and taxes, I pay for the road the vehicle travels on.

Where are all the "rights" advocates now?

And, I paid extra for a car with dual airbags solely because I don't like seat belts. I would rather crawl out with a broken ribcage than die on fire trapped in the belt.

Shouldn't it be my choice? Speed limits and red lights are one thing, they are for the good of the driving community as a whole; but any personal safety precautions should be up to me.

If the government is that concerned with road safety, it should fix the roads and stop giving out licenses like Watchtower pamphlets.

No comments: