Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Even More about Sen. Craig

Here's a story about Idaho Sen. Larry Craig attempting to withdraw his guilty plea to a disorderly conduct charge.

Craig says that, when accused of trying to set up a gay sex encounter in an airport bathroom, he took a guilty plea to disorderly conduct purely to avoid publicity and to get past the situation.

As I've said before, I have no idea if he's gay, or if he really tried to hook up with another guy in a bathroom, so I'm taking all this at face value.

But, it does seem plausible ... I mean, it makes sense that a public figure might see the plea as the easy, quiet way out of a difficult situation. This new development makes that seem more likely, because if he made the plea just to keep things quiet, but maintains his innocence, then now that the situation is anything but quiet he might as well fight the charge.

My interest in this story doesn't even have much to do with Craig -- I want to see how other lawmakers treat this issue -- I want to see how many people argue about the specific incident, which on its own should have some professional ramifications, and how many try and make something out of whether Craig is a closeted homosexual, which should not.

No comments: